Sunday, April 21, 2019

The day before I take flight..

Midweek, I developed a robust chest cold, however, the contagious period will have mostly subsided by the time I get on my flight. And why else do large pharmaceutical companies make extra-strength cold syrups/meds but for the likes of this! I’ll be fine.

Engaged now with packing activities, I found a multitude of small things in our unorganized basement which are permitted on flights: single-use shampoos, soap, conditioner, short power cord (have the convertor), spare librarian-like neck cord with which to hold my glasses, and a fabric throat/neck warmer thingy Pat gave me that will serve nicely to keep my mandible attached to my cranium while asleep on the flight. Nodding off while upright always forces my mouth open; my teeth organize and rumble given the opportunity to escape, I then tumble forward and awake. Not on THIS flight. Not if I can help it. The only thing missing is my travel towel, which is likely with the camping gear…

I’m also busy editing the collection of tunes on my iPod. What I REALLY need, is a hologram that will flash in front of me to tell me what tune is playing next and identify the composer. And that is a first world problem.

Books collected for the journey include “Bringing Columbia Home” (the space shuttle lost in 2003, coincidentally while Mom and I were in the UK), the memoirs of an EMS turned mortician, “Silent Siren”, and “Footprints in the Dust” – the account of a nurse who has worked in war-zones and her compassion and hope for refugees from around the world. There will be research to undertake each day as my itinerary unfolds. Large parts of this trip will pay homage to my recently departed Mom, but more on that as this evolves. That’s enough

1 comment:

Carla said...

Bon voyage!